Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Santa Fe

This past weekend we drove to Santa Fe, New Mexico to have a family ski/snow trip.  It was really a lot of fun and so worth the drive!! Layne and I decided to leave Ryleigh at home with my parents.  I had mixed emotions, but now that we are back I'm very glad that we decided to leave her.  She just wouldn't have had a lot of fun and either would I.  It was a 13 hour drive there and then again back.  So the car ride in itself would have been miserable.  Jayce on the other hand did AMAZING!!! He is such a trooper!! I couldn't believe how awesome he was in the car.  He watched a couple movies, slept, played with his toys and talked up a storm.  He was really a great traveler.

Our trip was a family trip.  We went with Layne's mom's side of the family.  So there were like 20 of us all staying in 1 1/2 houses.  We rented a house with a little casita attached to it.  The main house was 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths, huge kitchen and living room. Then the casita was one bedroom and one bath.  Layne's aunt, uncle and three cousins stayed in it. And the rest of us stayed in the main house.  Amazingly it didn't seem to cramped. All the adults/families had their own rooms so we were able to sneak away if we needed to.  But for the most part everyone was only at the house at the same time at night and in the mornings.  We were all either on the mountain skiing, shopping, or sledding.  It was a great trip!

While we were there, I even got to see some of my family.  Pretty much all of my mom's side of the family is from Albuquerque, NM and so since we were going to be in Santa Fe, two of my aunts decided to drive up and see us.  It was really nice! It had been quite a while since I'd seen them and they had never met Jayce before.  Thanks so much Aunt Terri and Aunt Paula for coming up to see us!!

So we left on Thursday afternoon, stopped in Amarillo to sleep and then finished the drive Friday morning.  We got there Friday around lunch time and had most of the afternoon to hang out and enjoy some scenery.  Jayce and I did some great bonding! We spent pretty much the entire afternoon outside exploring the wilderness and having some awesome Mommy/son time.  We don't get much of that one on one time anymore, so it was AWESOME!  Saturday we drove up to the Mountain and skied all day! Oh it was so nice! The weather was great and so was the snow! Layne's mom brought the two little boys (Jayce and Noah) up around lunch and they got to enjoy the snow too.  Sunday, Layne, Jayce and I visited with my aunts and then we headed up to the Mountain for some more skiing. 

Our nephews went to ski school the day before and so on Sunday we got to ski with them.  It was so much fun! Layne's mom decided to take Jayce and Noah to the sled area on the mountain.  We were so glad that she did, because they had a super awesome time! Jayce loved sledding!! Since Layne and I missed out on watching him sled, we decided to take him Monday morning before we were going to head out.  Sledding brought back so many memories from when I was a kid.  I loved sledding and still do.  It's so much fun!! After that, we loaded the car back up and headed back to Houston.  This time not stopping to stay the night.  We pulled an all-nighter and got back to Layne's parents house at 4:30AM! Tuesday was a rough day :)  Especially since Layne did not make the trip back with us.  He left Tuesday for Denver, CO.  He's enjoying some extra days of snowboarding with some of the pastors from our church.  He's one lucky guy! :) We can't wait to see him on Friday!!

Phew! Well that's about our trip.  Here are a few pics....I will probably have another post just with pics from our other camera.  These are just the ones I took from my camera. 

 This outdoor stuff is AWESOME!!!! 
 Cool Cactus....told Jayce not to touch it or it would hurt him bad! He never got near :)
 Two of Layne's cousins had never seen enough snow to make a snowman.  This is their first one.
 Seriously threw a fit if I even asked him if he wanted to go inside!
 Our gorgeous view from the house!!
 He couldn't wait to "play" in the snow! He had no idea what was waiting for him on the mountain! :)

 We get to ski/snowboard! Our fun is about to begin :)

 HOLY COW! SO MUCH MORE SNOW!!! He loved throwing snowballs at Mommy and Daddy.

 Noah making a snow angel
 Snow was so deep that he would sink in to about his knees.


 AHHH!!!! I'm losing my boot!!!
 Aunt Terri and Jayce
 Aunt Terri, Jayce and Aunt Paula (my mom's sisters)
 Here's all of us :)


 Oh the view was beautiful!!!!!!

 Layne's sisters family. (Chad, Dylan, Colin and Steph)
Photobucket

3 comments:

Lacey said...

What a fun trip and great memories!! I can't wait to take my kiddos to see the snow!! some day..some day!! I am so glad you guys had a great time!

ChrissyK said...

Ahhhh, looks like soooo much fun.

Paige said...

I miss skiing! So glad you guys had fun!