Saturday, December 3, 2011

New Tradition

This year we decided to start a new tradition in our house.  On November 30, before the kids went to bed we read the book The Elf on the Shelf.  The kids and I talked about how an elf was going to show up the next morning.  We went through the book and talked about what we could do and could not do with the elf.  Jayce was very excited and Ryleigh didn't really pay much attention to it.  I figured it would be that way.  I knew that the more interested that Jayce was, the more interested Ryleigh would eventually get.


The next morning on Dec 1, our Elf showed up.  When Jayce woke up, the first thing he saw was our new elf.  He was so excited and started asking Layne all kinds of questions.  First he asked if he was a toy, then he asked if he could touch him, and so on.  Layne did a great job of answering him and Jayce knew right away that he wasn't supposed to touch him or he'd lose his magic.  He also knew that he could talk to him, but the elf wouldn't talk back.  A little bit later Ryleigh woke up and also noticed the elf.  She of course went right over to it and picked it up.  Jayce just about lost it! This is how the next conversation went:
            Jayce: RYLEIGH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! HE WILL LOSE HIS MAGIC!!!!  Ryleigh you are not supposed to touch the elf!!
*Ryleigh immediately drops the elf.
           Jayce: MOMMY!!!!!! Ryleigh just touched the elf and now he's on the floor!!!
So I come into the living room pick up the elf, and set him back on the TV.  I also calm Jayce down and then answer several of Ryleigh's questions.  Oh what a funny morning!!! 
Later that morning, the kids and I talked about what we were going to name him.  Seriously nothing came to mind except for Ralph....and the kids liked it so now our elf is named Ralph.  They love him and enjoy finding him each morning.  Jayce has been talking to him each day and even tried talking Ryleigh into talking to him.  She's not going for it yet.  I really do love that we have started this tradition and can't wait to see how it evolves over the next several years!
Photobucket

1 comments:

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

We started the Elf on the Shelf this year too! Kason named our elf Pete. I have no idea where he came up with the name, but that is what he called him. :) Pete moves around each morning and Kason loves to find him. The other morning, he was hanging on the sofa with Buzz Lightyear...one morning, sitting on the chalkboard with chalk in his hands and the chalkboard said, "Santa says hi!"...and this morning, he was sliding down the banister. Kason gets a kick out of every morning! :) Miss you all and can't wait to see you home soon!