This was our first year where we had a very quiet Thanksgiving. It was almost strange, but very refreshing. Almost every year we celebrated Thanksgiving with Layne's family...the last couple years we had traveled to Oklahoma to have Thanksgiving with Layne's sister and her family. But since we are so far away this year, we asked my parents to come up here for Thanksgiving and celebrate with just us. I asked Layne if he was going to miss not having a big Thanksgiving and he surprised me by saying "no". He was really looking forward to not having to do anything this year. We could just go at our own pace and relax. So Thanksgiving morning, he got up early and went and played flag football with some guys from our new church. They all had a great time. It was the first time they had done a "turkey bowl" but I think it might be a new tradition :) My dad took the kids with them and they got to play at the park and watch Daddy play football. So I'm pretty sure it was a win-win for everyone. While they were gone, my mom and I got the turkey ready and then got our selves ready for the day.
Oh and the whole time the turkey was in the oven I was praying that the oven wouldn't go out. We had been having issues with the oven and I called our apartment complex to come out and fix it and no one did. Sooo, we were praying for a cooperative oven! I mean seriously?! Couldn't we just have everything go smoothly?? Well, we got the turkey done before the oven started acting up, but nothing else. Luckily, we have friends in our complex and they weren't doing any Thanksgiving cooking there. So we were able to walk to their apartment and finish cooking our sweet potatoes and dressing. After everything was ready, the kids helped me set the table with the turkeys that we had made and we ate a late lunch, early dinner. After eating, of course everyone laid down to take a nap. Such a great Thanksgiving and so glad that we got to celebrate it with my parents!!











1 comments:
Yay for you getting pictures! I don't think I got 1 picture of Thanksgiving this year! What was I thinking???
Post a Comment